Australia Cup Round of 32 Wrap Up

Broadmeadow Magic FC, Edgeworth Eagles FC and Newcastle Jets FC have bowed out of the Australian Cup in the Round of 32.  

Broadmeadow Magic’s Australia Cup campaign came to an entertaining end on Friday 4 August, going down 4-2 in a thriller against Sydney United 58 FC at Magic Park. 

The visitors won a penalty early in the first half when James Kresnar was called for a handball, and Patrick Antelmi sent Cesar Serpa the wrong way as he calmly picked out the bottom right corner to give Sydney United a 1-0 lead.  

Magic equalised less than three minutes later when a Smith strike was parried away and Jayden Stewardson reacted quickest to get onto the loose ball and fire it in off the left post from just outside the six-yard box.  

Sydney United captain Adrian Vlastelica put his side back in front in the 34th minute when he turned the ball in from close range following corner, and then Magic went down to 10 men when Smith was booked for the second time in the 40th minute.  

Broadmeadow rallied and equalised for the second time in the game in the first minute of injury time when Keanu Moore chased down a loose ball following a Magic free kick and squared it back into the box to Bailey Wells, who guided a crafty strike into the bottom right corner.  

Former Newcastle Jets player Devante Clut restored Sydney United’s lead in the 54th minute with a shot from just outside the 18-yard box that crept underneath a diving Serpa.  

Magic pushed hard and created a few chances to find a third equaliser but the visitors put the game beyond doubt four minutes into injury time when Alessandro Lacalandra scored on the counterattack to make the final score 4-2 after the hosts had committed men forward to search for an equaliser. 

The Edgeworth Eagles did their club, their town and Northern NSW Football proud when they went down 4-0 against A-League opponents Western United in their clash on Wednesday 9 August.  

Edgeworth went into the knockout game without a few key players, including Josh Rose, Dylan Holz, Sascha Montefiore and Nick Curran.  

Western United took the lead in the 20th minute after Lachlan Wales showed blistering pace to get in behind the defence down the right edge before squaring inside to Noah Botic, who calmly slotted his shot over the diving Ben Conway.  

Michael Ruhs made it 2-0 in the 28th minute following a swift Western United counterattack.  Lachlan Wales made it 3-0 just three minutes later with a back stick tap-in following a Riku Danzaki pass, and Wales then added a second in the 58th minute.  

Newcastle Jets FC went down 3-2 to Brisbane Roar on Monday 14 August at Maitland Sportsground after being forced into extra time.